[New Monster] Graun


With a look of confidence Valance entered the common room of the inn. The priest of the Spider God nodded at Chalk and Koram.

‘I call you out, innkeeper!’ he shouted. ‘You are no human!’

The innkeeper sneered and threw the grimy bar rag at the cleric who ducked it deftly.

Suddenly the innkeeper began convulsing and in moments transformed into a leering ogre. The small crowd in the inn went wild.

‘How did you know?’ asked Chalk.

‘Brains,’ replied Valance.

Chalk rolled his eyes.

‘Ok, ok, ok, and spider spies!’

The ogre ran over to a trapdoor and opened it, a half a dozen ogres poured into the room, swinging crude weapons.

‘Hopefully we make it out of this one,’ Koram shouted as he ran passed the other two, brandishing his crystal sword.


No. Enc.: 1d4(3d6)

Alignment: Chaotic

Movement: 120′ (40’)

Armor Class: 7

Hit Dice: 4

Attacks: 1

Damage: 1d8 (punch), 3d6 (thrown stone)

Save: F4

Morale: 8

Hoard Class: XXx2

XP: 250

These dreadful creatures are actually ogres able to assume a smaller human shape which they use to infiltrate society. The graun have the natural ability once per day to Polymorph Self (human only) to look like a typical average human, nondescript, easily blending into a crowd. This ability lasts for eight hours per day unless the graun is found out, at which point the creature is immediately transformed back into its ogre shape.

With rooting these creatures out the trick is finding them-few even know they exist in the first place. Many assume a human shape and go about their business, learning what they can in order to help ogres take over small towns and villages. Those with a Wisdom of 14 or higher have a 65% chance of noticing something ‘different’ about these creatures, something will just seem off. Those with a Wis of 13 or lower have a 35% chance of knowing something is off with one of these creatures.

Being more clever than regular ogres many graun resent being used to help their dumber cousins take over human habitations, although others figure out where the most treasure is to loot beforehand to maximize their spoils.

This entry was posted in Monsters and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s